Saturday, March 24, 2007

Mission Mercy III


Last Saturday on the 24th of March two funerals occurred. One was for dear Sister Beckstrand, who had tragically passed away from unknown causes earlier that week during a family discussion about the possibility of a rest home. The other was for a beloved yet thought to be unimportant species (one of many) of life, the American Robin(Turdus migratorius). As the "scientific name" suggests, the bird heralds one of the most anticipated annual changes of the year. The change from cold, dreary, winter(who blankets the land with snow) to warm happy spring.

The Site
This year for example, two weeks after the groundhog, with his psychic mind, predicted a late spring, the Robins arrived. One of them would never return to Mexico or live to see another winter or summer. She was an elderly Robin, probably several years old and had given life to baby birds several times. I came to know about her when I was trying to get some fresh air after a couple of hours inside. The kids in the neighborhood had congregated around the body, along with a good 5,000 ants. The house nearest to the site was being attended to by its owner, who, according to the kids, had agreed to "take care of it". At these words, something in me cried out against this barbaric deed.

Two other times in my short life had this happened before. One was with the unidentified bird(probably some kind of sparrow), later christened "chirpy" because of all the noise that he made, who was discovered lying in our yard while I was pushing my brother in the stroller. Fortunately he was still alive, Unfortunately, three days later I was rudely awakened by my little brother who, after verifying that I was awake proudly exclaimed "Ethan! Chirpy's dead!!!!" The smile on his face set a Guinness world record that has yet to be broken. We laid Chirpy to rest in a secluded spot next to the South West corner of the house. The second occurred when my beloved Parakeet "Anakin Flywalker" (yes that was his name) passed away on a Sunday night not unlike what happened to the Robin. We had been going to a family dinner. Family dinners are EXTREMELY fun. Anakin was on the bottom of his cage looking like he had diarea. I ignored him because we were going to the family dinner. The next morning, he was dead. He was laid to rest next to Chirpy, God bless his little soul. Both times, the birds were laid to rest. Seeing the Robin, instead of peacefully lying under the ground made me want to do something about it. But if I brought her home, I could imagine the argument about it. My mom for the funeral and burial and my dad against. But seeing the bird slowly being devoured by ants, I knew I had to try. "Dad," I said, pushing the door open. "There's a dead bird outside and I want to give it a proper burial" Estimated .75 seconds till "No" is spoken. At this point I want to stop and ask you a question. Do you believe in miracles? As of today, March 24th 2007 I have answered this question. Yes, there are miracles. My Dad (who usually dislikes messes) said, (drum roll please) "Sure." In my head came plans of what to do. I went outside and got one of those Target bags and a shovel. As I neared the site I wondered what I would say to the gardener about me taking the bird, for people in my ward have an extremely annoying habit of temporarily taking over my mom's job. But to my great relief, he was nowhere to be seen. I loaded the bird into the sack with the shovel and took him home. Twenty minutes later, the bird was in an ice cream tub coffin. At this moment , I made a bad decision, and brought most of the original kids who had found it to the funeral. They turned it into a comedy. It was like watching them dismember George Washington. Then, we loaded up the wagon and laid the bird to rest in the nerby field. This "Mission Mercy" was the third. A tribute to a fallen war hero, who had the courage to succumb to sickness, and leave the sky forever. To crawl into a gutter and become a casualty of the essential and everlasting war between nature and life, and leave this life looking at the thing she loved most, the sky.

Like Anakin(god bless his little soul) and Chirpy before her she moved on. Perhaps if we all undertook our own Mission Mercy, the world would be a better place.

The final resting place

22 comments:

Bill C said...

Parents can be a suprisingly good resource for building faith in miracles.

Same can be said for children, yes?

An Ordinary Mom said...

I am glad that tender hearted and wise children like you still exist in this world!

Heth said...

Anakin Flywalker is genuis. Great name. You write wonderfully Ethan.

Anonymous said...

Ethan, I loved reading this. You have a beautiful style!

Klutzmom said...

I'm glad you laid robin to rest properly. I hope you never lose your tender side.
Keep writing. I'm really impressed.

TARA said...

Love your blog, love this post! Keep 'em coming....

Em said...

Lovely.

Allysha said...

That was nice, Ethan. Thank you for sharing it.

Shalee said...

What a writer you are! It must be hereditary. A most excellent post - no wonder you're mom is so proud.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I hope that your life is full of such memory making moments, and that you continue to write about them. When we write, and share our writing, we can touch hearts and change minds, even lives. I'm looking out my bedroom window now, smiling at the birds in the pine trees which shade our home. And I'm looking at them a little differently, and thinking about them a little more, because of what you wrote.

Dedee said...

Thanks for sharing Ethan. I'll think a little harder for what you wrote!

Jennifer B. said...

So well-written. Bravo, Ethan! I hope you keep writing.

boomama said...

Ethan - what a beautifully written post this is...and how wonderful that you're so actively honing your writing skills at such an early age. If this is what you're writing at eleven, I can hardly wait to see what you produce in the years to come. There are big things in store for you, no doubt about it....

Judith said...

I found your blog through reading about it on your mums and I am so glad I did. Never change and never stop writing - you have something special going for you :-)

eve said...

Okay how old are you? That was amazing writing! I'll be back to read more in the future!

Anonymous said...

May all the well-loved inhabitants of your pet cemetery rest in peace.

Suzi said...

Ethan,
What a wonderful post-you are a VERY talented writer!

Lara said...

What a touching post Ethan. We could use your services here today as we had a death in the family last night. One of our new baby chicks didn't make it so we will be laying it to rest today.

Hoppers said...

Not long ago I was out jogging and came across a female cardinal lying dead in the street. I set her in the nearby grassy yard so that she wouldn't be flattened, but I didn't return after my jog.

Now that I've read this detailed account of such tender, merciful treatment of a deceased robin, I wonder if I should have gone back to check on her with a Target bag in hand? I have an ice cream tub in the garage; I could have scooped her up and buried her under the big Maple tree in the back yard. I could have, but I didn't.

Next time, I will.

Kathryn Thompson said...

That was beautiful Ethan. Thanks so much for sharing. You are a fabulous writer.

Alex said...

Ethan, that was just.. beautiful. I actually cried for the first time in 6 months. I remember Anakin well (bless his soul). Keep writing like this, I'm impressed.

J-Dog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.