Tuesday, October 2, 2007

We're all going to die.

I'm sure that in one of the many movies that have been created in this world since the creation of the "moving picture" (I haven't had time to watch them all yet due to a limited media time budget, ahem, cough, moral for mom), someone has a line that says: "we're all going to die" (I have a feeling that it might be one of those Godzilla movies).

This might come as a shock to you because in reality, we are all, going to die. It is now that I must inform you of the 3 main human tendencies that I have discovered.

  • That everything will happen to someone else
  • That your work is stupid and everyone Else's work rivals Einstein's
  • And the most important one, that actions have no consequence
For those of you still clinging to the absurd notion that we are not going to die let me tell you something, you're staring into the face of defeat.

Because yes, we're all going to die. Still clinging to the notion? Let me show you some visual aids.


See that? Its called an ozone hole. An ozone hole is a hole in the ozone layer. The blue dent is the hole in the ozone layer. It lets radiation and infrared rays from space in.

Need more explanation? That blue thingy that you can see is Antarctica. For those of you still being human (and as such following the human tendencies) this will not just affect the penguins.
Because all of those infrared rays are going to melt the ice. All the water has to go somewhere.

Imagine a bowl of chicken noodle soup. Now imagine the 2005 Katrina devastated New Orleans. Now pretend that they marry and have a kid. Now imagine where you live and marry it with miss noodley Orleans. Should look something like the world if Antarctica melts.

Some of you are thinking stuff like :but we didn't help global warming, those that you think just don't care really care, care more about their lifestyles than their eventual deaths. Just under half a week ago I discovered that my very own dad wanted to chop down a large 20 year old tree just because "It looks like a bush." Those are his exact words too.


This is a picture of the tree that my dad wants to cut down. All over the world things like this are happening. Other horrible human related things are happening to the enviorment as well. Things like garbage dumping, pesticides on rampages, dams, oil spills, and logging are all contributing to the eventual death of life as we know it. Take a look at some of these pictures.







Sad, isn't it. But, just like that last minute bombing run that explodes godzilla, we can stop the monster of our own life styles. Save power by purchasing energy efficient appliances and turning off lights in the daytime or when you're not in the room at night. Walk instead of driving if it isn't too far(or buy a hybrid or fuel efficient car). Ask for paper bags at the grocery store instead of plastic because plastic bags made up 50% of the trash on that beach. Plant trees instead of choping them down. Don't buy wooden furniture made from a rain forest now transformed into wooden widgets, recycle, and tell others to do the same. Post comments on this very post about things you did to save trees. Maybe it isn't too late.

15 comments:

TARA said...

Great post, Ethan!

I think it's a beautiful tree, even if it does look a little like a bush.

I try to recycle whenever I can. I even bring my water bottles home from work since there's no place to recycle them there.

I'm sure I could do more....your post has me thinking...

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I think that post should be the introduction to Al Gore's next book.

Brilliant. Thought-provoking. And it even has penguins.

Thanks for the much needed reminder.

mindyluwho said...

Much food for thought. I usually ask for plastic bags because I use them to reline my trash cans, so I feel I'm recycling. We do need to start working on turning off the lights.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I moved to Oregon when I was 13 and I remember seeing my very first clear cut. It made me want to cry. When they clear cut the land behind my home, it made me furious.

Good writing Ethan.

Anonymous said...

wow! we recycle everything we can in this house. in fact we put our more recycling bins than trash bins! instead of taking paper or plastic bags from the store, we bring our own reusable/canvas ones. sometimes stores sell them for about a buck. or, like me you can create a collection going to a thrift store or garage sales. they are much cuter that way too!

our trash company also separates yard clippings from the rest and so to that bin i add all the food scraps from the house. we don't compost but that way it still doesn't end up in the land fill.

what a great post

Lucy van Pelt said...

Walking or riding your bike instead of driving is a great thing you can do for the environment and for your own body. And keeping the lights off as much as possible saves energy and money (even if you aren't paying the electricity bill yet, it's still a good idea).

Thanks for the thought-provoking post.

Julie Q. said...

You know I'm totally with you on the tree battle. But you'll have to hold my hand and make me strong if Dad offers to trade the tree for my much coveted skylight. I'd need moral support to resist the temptation.

You continue to inspire me. Never give up hope for a better world when there are children like you who care so much.

Ginger said...

Ethan,
Great post, I just have a couple of observations...

How many trees is your dad willing to plant to compensate for cutting one down that he doesn't like? Are you willing to help him make that compromise?

Sky lights are a great way to save energy. I have four in my home and rarely have to turn on lights during the day because of them. Maybe a skylight compromise could also be included in the tree cutting dilemna.

Jennifer B. said...

Thoughtful post. You are very persuasive. I think I'm going to get myself some of those cute canvas totes for the next time I go grocery shopping.

Thanks Ethan!

Anonymous said...

It is great that you are dedicated to doing what you can to preserve the earth. I think as your generation takes control of policies and practices in the US, the country will be better off on the environmental front.

One more thing to think about, though. The vast majority of the furniture and 'widgets' made from rain forests in developing countries represent the only income for the indigenous people there. To the average American, it seems like a simple environmental issue, but to the people living there it puts food in their childrens' stomaches and clothes on their backs. Yes, the environmental consequences affect them, too, but they don't have the luxury of worrying about that; they are too busy worrying about surviving today.

That is not to say that saving the rain forests should not be a priority; just that it isn't simply a black and white/right and wrong issue. Something to think about.

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

Great ideas! I take my own shopping bags to the grocery store. When I get home I empty them out then stash them back in the car so I'm prepared for next time. I also try to keep my driving to a minimum to save money on fuel and to be more "green", so I plan my trips to do all of my shopping and errands at once. Sometimes I'll go for 2 or 3 days without driving anywhere, since I can walk the kids to school in good weather and plan my meals to limit grocery store trips to 2 or 3 times a month. Keep the ideas coming for us! I'm looking forward to the next thought-provoking post.

TARA said...

So as I was cleaning up the kitchen as I prepped for my cooking class last night I found myself doing a double take at what I was putting in the trash. Normally I'm good about recycling, but every once in a while if I think I'm in a hurry I get lazy. In the spirit of your post, on two separate occasions I went back to the trash and pulled something out I had just thrown away and walked the extra 12 steps to the recycle barrel outside.

Thanks for making me think!

Anonymous said...

Well said Ethan! We use cloth bags for our groceries here in South Africa - the stores make you pay a fee if you want a plastic bag.

Bill C said...

I wonder, are penguins susceptible to increased UV and IR? Probably not, though the ice sure is.
;-)

Excellent post. Though personally I'm not convinced the currently available hybrids are a good idea; their batteries are relatively short-lived, incredibly expensive to replace, and battery disposal carries its own significant environmental impact. Better to have each person do less driving and use less fossil fuels, as you suggest.

I think my favorite instance of the "We're all going to die" line was spoken by Sigmund Marvin, in "What About Bob?" Those weren't his exact words but his suffocatingly dark take on life was really funny.

Niki said...

I agree with everything you say! Everyone need's to pitch in, or your generation will be the ones that pay. I think you will like this book by Bill Bryson called "A Short History of Nearly Everything", give it a try, we should be dead already! Keep pushing people, great blog!